Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S belongs to a class of drugs called “quinolone antibacterials” (fluoroquinolones). These are antibiotics that are used in the treatment of serious infections when other antibiotics fail to work.
It is used to fight against bacterial infections like chest infections (including pneumonia, skin and bone infections, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), eye infections (such as conjunctivitis) and ear infections.
This medicine is available on prescription, as tablets, a liquid that you drink, eardrops, eye drops and an eye ointment. At times it is also given as an injection, but this is done in the hospital.
Common side effects of this medication are nausea, indigestion (stomach ache), vomiting and diarrhoea.
Dosage of Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S depends on age, severity of condition, patient's response to medicine and their comorbidities.
Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S is prescribed to adults and children above 1 year.
It is used in the treatment of
- Gram-negative lower respiratory tract (infections in the lungs or below the voice box)
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Gastrointestinal (stomach and bowels), intra-abdominal bone and joint infections
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Chronic suppurative otitis media (inflammation of the middle ear and mastoid cavity)
- Sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses)
- Gonococcal urethritis and cervicitis (inflammation of urethra and cervix)
- Epididymo-orchitis (inflammation of the tube that stores and carries sperm, and/or of the testicle)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (infection of the female reproductive organs)
- Malignant external otitis (infection and damage of the bones of the ear canal and at the base of the skull)
- Infection in neutropenic patients (those with low levels of neutrophils) - also as prophylaxis
- Invasive infections due to N. meningitidis (for prophylaxis)
- Inhalation anthrax (occurs after a person inhales spores into the lungs)
- Broncho-pulmonary infections in cystic fibrosis (genetic disease that causes persistent lung infections and limits the ability to breathe over time) caused by P. aeruginosa in children.
How does Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S work?
It is an antibiotic that prevents the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing. It works by inhibiting the action of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase, thereby, killing the bacteria.
How to use Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
- The way you take your medicine depends on the type of Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S and what you're taking it for. Follow the instructions that come with the medicine.
- Make sure to divide your doses evenly throughout the day.
- Make sure not to miss any dose and complete the full course of treatment
Tablets: Swallow them whole with a glass of water.
Liquid: before taking, shake the bottle properly to make sure the granules have dissolved completely. Take it with a plastic spoon or syringe (ask your pharmacist if you do not have these) to help you take the right amount
- Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S can be taken with or without food, however, avoid taking it together with dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt as it can affect the mechanism of action.
- Put 1-2 drops into the affected eye, 4 times a day
- For severe infections you might be asked to put 1-2 drops in the affected eye every 15 mins for the first 6 hours. Depending on the efficacy you will be asked to reduce your dosage.
- Gently pull down your lower eyelid with a clean finger and tilt your head back.
- Now hold the bottle over your eye and pour a drop or two (one by one as prescribed by your doctor) into the space between your lower lid and your eye.
- Use a tissue to wipe away any extra liquid that may have fallen
- Make sure that the dropper does not come in contact with your eye or eyelid as it may cause the infection to spread.
- Apply cm of ointment on the affected eye, 2-3 times daily or as advised by your doctor.
- For severe infections you might be asked to use it every hour and throughout the night.
- Gently pull down your lower eyelid with a clean finger and tilt your head back.
- Now hold the tube over your eye and gently squeeze the ointment into the space between your lower lid and your eye.
- Use a tissue to wipe away any extra ointment.
- Make sure that the nozzle of the tube does not come in contact with your eye or eyelid as it may cause the infection to spread.
- Put 5 drops into the affected ear, 2 times daily, or use as advised by the doctor
- Hold the container in your hand for a few minutes to warm the drops
- While bringing the container up towards the affected ear, tilt your head
- When the open end is right above your ear hole, squeeze the drops into your ear
- If possible, lie down for 5 minutes afterwards; with the affected ear pointing towards the ceiling (in cases when you are treating only one ear)
Form and strength:
Tablet, extended release
- 250-750 mg twice daily usually for 1-2 weeks depending on severity and response
- Lower RTI:
- Mild-moderate: 500 mg twice daily for 1-2 weeks
- Severe: 750 mg twice daily or 500 mg thrice daily for 1-2 weeks
- Bone infection:
- Mild-moderate: 500 mg twice daily for 4-6 weeks
- Severe: 750 mg twice daily for 4-6 weeks
- Skin infection:
- mild-moderate: 500 mg twice daily for 1-2 weeks.
- Severe: 750 mg twice daily for 1-2 weeks.
- acute uncomplicated: 100 mg or 250 mg twice daily for 3 days.
- Mild/moderate: 250 mg twice daily for 1-2 weeks.
- Severe/complicated: 500 mg twice daily for 1-2 weeks.
- Acute uncomplicated cystitis: 250-500 mg twice daily for 3 days.
- Gonorrhoea, inhalation anthrax: 500 mg twice daily for 60 days after confirmed or suspected exposure.
Indicated for the following when no other safe alternative is available:
- Acute exacerbation of cystic fibrosis:
- under 5 years, not recommended
- 5-17 years, 20 mg/kg twice daily for 10-14 days; max 750 mg/dose.
- Other severe infections: 20 mg/kg twice daily; max 750 mg/dose.
- Complicated UTI/Pyelonephritis: 1-17 years, 10-20 mg/kg twice daily for 10-21 days. Max 750 mg.
- Inhalation anthrax: 10-15 mg/kg twice daily for 60 days after confirmed or suspected exposure. Max: 500 mg/dose.
Dosage is completely dependent on the age, severity of condition, patient's response to medicine and their comorbidities. Your doctor may vary your dosage to regulate your blood sugar levels.
Pregnancy use and lactation
If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, please consult your doctor before using Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S.
If you are breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before taking Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S as it is contraindicated.
Please inform your doctor if you have a history of any before using Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S:
- Allergic reaction - indicated by skin rash, swelling around face area, wheezing, chest tightness and breathing difficulty
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions while using Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S:
- Risk of arthropathy (any disease of the joints) in children and adolescents (evaluate risk/benefit ratio before starting treatment)
- History of tendon disorder
- Diabetes (Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S may affect blood sugar levels)
- Epilepsy (recurrent fits/seizures)
- History to CNS disorder
- Renal (kidney) impairment
- Crystalluria (cloudy urine due to presence of crystals); patients should be well hydrated
- G6PD deficiency (genetic disorder most commonly affecting males)
- Myasthenia gravis (long-term autoimmune disorder characterized by muscle weakness and fatigue)
- Risk factors for QT prolongation (electrical disturbance in the heart)
- History of abdominal aortic aneurysm (enlargement in the lower part of the aorta) or any other problems with the aorta (large blood vessel running from the heart to the abdomen)
- Avoid prolonged exposure to UV and refrain from driving or operating machinery.
Interaction with other medications
Certain medications could interact with Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S, hence, in that case your doctor might alter your dosage and make sure to monitor blood sugar levels more closely.
Please inform your doctor about the use of the following before taking Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S:
- Oral anticoagulants
- Other CYP1A2 substrates
- Magnesium, aluminium, calcium or iron salts
- Theophylline, and other xanthine derivatives
- Drugs that inhibit peristalsis.
Like most medicines, Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S has some side effects which include:
- Nausea after taking tablets or liquid
- Indigestion (stomach ache)
- Vomiting after taking tablets or liquid
- Diarrhoea after taking tablets or liquid
- Red eye, or stinging, burning feeling after using eye drops or ointment
- Appearance of white specks on the surface of the eye after using eye drops or ointment.
- Hypersensitivity/allergic skin reactions; in this case discontinue
- Very rarely, tendon inflammation and rupture
- Pseudomembranous colitis (inflammation of large intestine)
- Please discontinue if tendinitis (inflammation of tendons) or persistent diarrhoea develops
- Changes in sight, smell, taste hearing
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Seizures or fits
- Injection: Local reaction.
How to cope with some of the adverse effects
- Nausea (feeling sick) - Take Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S with or after meals and avoid having spicy food
- Vomiting and Diarrhoea - Keep yourself hydrated by having lots of fluids and if the problem persists, consult your doctor before taking any medication for vomiting and diarrhoea
- Stomach ache - Try to rest as much as possible and have smaller and more frequent meals. Using a heat pack or hot water bottle over the area in pain might help in giving some relief. If the pain still persists and is severe, speak to your doctor.
- Discomfort or redness in eyes (after using eye drops or ointment) - give your eyes some rest and avoid driving or operating machinery until you feel better and your vision is clear.
- Bad taste in mouth - Usually goes away soon. Drink some water or juice or have a sugar free gum
- White specks after using eye drops or ointment - Continue taking Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S but inform your doctor if the problem does not go away or worsens.
Inform your doctor immediately if you experience any of the serious side effects.
Key facts about Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S
- Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S belongs to a class of drugs called “quinolone antibacterials” (fluoroquinolones). These are antibiotics that are used in the treatment of serious infections when other antibiotics fail to work
- It is prescribed to adults and children above 1 year.
- It is an antibiotic that prevents the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing. It works by inhibiting the action of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase, thereby, killing the bacteria.
- Common side effects of this medication are nausea, indigestion (stomach ache), vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Avoid taking the tablets or liquid together with dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt.
- Matter of concern arises if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling on the face, difficulty breathing, pain in tendons, numbness or tingling sensation, in which case you need to inform your doctor immediately.
- Use of Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S is not recommended in pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
1. WHAT EXACTLY DOES Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S DO?
Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S belongs to a class of drugs called “quinolone antibacterials” (fluoroquinolones) that prevent the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing. It works by inhibiting the action of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase, thereby, killing the bacteria.
2. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S TO START WORKING?
For most infections, you will start feeling better in 2-3 days depending on the type of infection. Inform your doctor if you do not feel better or your condition starts to get worse.
3. CAN Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S INCREASE THE RISK OF MUSCLE DAMAGE?
Yes, it is known to affect your muscles, commonly in the ankle (achilles tendon). It can happen in patients of all ages; inform your doctor if you feel any sort of muscle pain.
4. HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO TAKE Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S FOR?
Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S should be taken for as long as it is prescribed by your doctor. It is usually given for 1-2 weeks but it varies depending on the type of infection and its severity (from 1 day to 3 months)
5. IS THERE ANY FOOD OR DRINK I NEED TO AVOID?
Avoid taking the tablets or liquid together with dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt because they prevent the Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S from entering the body from the stomach.
6. CAN I STOP TAKING Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
Do not just stop taking the medicine, make sure to complete your treatment course even if you feel better
7. CAN I TAKE PARACETAMOL WITH Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
The two medicines are not known to have any clinical interaction with each other. However, interactions can occur. Consult your doctor before using both the medicines together.
8. CAN I DRINK ALCOHOL WITH Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
It is safe to drink alcohol as there are no interactions that are known to occur.
9. WHAT IF I TAKE TOO MUCH OF Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
Accidentally using a bit more than the prescribed amount of eye ointment or the eye or ear drops will not cause any problems. However, if you have taken too much of the prescribed tablet or liquid form of dosage you may experience common side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and an irregular heart beat.
10. WHAT IF I FORGET TO TAKE Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
Incase you miss a dose, take your next dose on time and do not try making up for the missed dose by doubling it up. If it helps to remind you, set an alarm so you do not miss any dose. Make sure to complete your course of treatment even if you feel better and think you do not need to take it anymore.
11. CAN I TAKE Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S DURING PREGNANCY OR BREASTFEEDING?
Use of Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S is not recommended in pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Please inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding so that they can prescribe you a medicine accordingly without causing any complications for you or your baby.
12. IS IT SAFE TO TAKE Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S FOR A LONG TIME?
It is usually prescribed for a short term, around 1-2 weeks. If the infection is severe it may be given for upto 3 months, but there are some common side effects that occur due to prolonged use of Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S. Consult your doctor if the side effects persist even after finishing your full course of treatment.
13. CAN I DRIVE OR RIDE A BIKE AFTER TAKING Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S?
Make sure you know how your body reacts while using Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S as it is known to make you feel tired or less alert. If your eye stings or burns after using the eye drops or ointment, do not drive or use any machinery until your vision clears out. Ear drops might affect your sense of balance, in which case avoid riding a bike or driving until you feel normal.
14. HOW SHOULD Mytil 500mg Tablet 10 'S BE STORED?
Keep this medicine tightly closed in the container or the pack it came in. Store it according to the instructions mentioned and dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people. Tablets should be stored at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture. Whereas, the suspension should be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature, closed tightly, for up to 14 days. Do not freeze the suspension. Discard any left over suspension after 14 days.